2022 Young Musicians Concerto Competition (open to all branches)
Competition Date: March 5, 2022 (Saturday)
Application Deadline: February 5, 2022 (Saturday)
Please read the 2022 JCM OC YMCC Rules carefully before filling out the form online.
2022 JCM YMCC is presented in collaboration with the California Association of Professional Music Teachers District VIII’s Orange County Chapter and the Orchestra Collective of Orange County.
Categories and Application Fees
Category A: Ages 11 & under (Time Limit: 10 min.) $65
Category B: Ages 14 & under (Time Limit: 12 min.) $75
Category C: Ages 21 & under (Time Limit: 15 min.) $85
Category A, B & C: First place, Second place & Third place (at judges’ discretion).
Pianists: Any concerto movement from the Classical era or any movement by Chopin, Grieg, Saint-Saens, Schumann, or Mendelssohn. Those who wish to play a concerto movement from other composers should contact OC of OC conductor Dr. David Rentz for permission.
Non-pianists: Contact Dr. David Rentz for approval of repertoire selection.
Ineligible Concerti for 2022:
- Felix Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No.1 in G minor, Op.25, Mvt. I
- Henri Vieuxtemps Violin Concerto no. 5 in A minor, Op. 37, Mvt. I
- Henryk WieniawskiViolin Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 22, Mvt. III
- Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 in C Minor, Op.18, Mvt. I
1. The competition is open to pianists, vocalists, and all instrumentalists participating in the 2021-2022 JCM Season.
2. Age is determined by the date of the competition. The applicant has to submit a proof of age (a copy of driver’s license, birth certificate, etc.).
3. Previous First place winners are NOT eligible to compete for the next two seasons.
4. All music should be performed from memory and a copy of the chosen piece has to be presented at the time of the competition. No photocopies will be accepted.
5. Each competitor has to provide his/her own accompanist that is not their private teacher.
6. There will be a minimum of one First place winner, one Second place winner and one Third place winner selected from each category at judges’ discretion. Each First place winner will be required to perform with the Orchestra Collective of Orange County in Season 2022-2023 (Date: August or September 2022 TBA). The details regarding rehearsals will be announced after the competition. If the selected First place winner is unable to perform on the announced date, the Second place Winner will take his/her place in performance.
7. Students of the judges are NOT allowed to compete and the judges’ decisions are final.
8. All winners agree to allow their names, photographs and video files to be used in connection with the competition as publicity for CAPMT VIII OC Chapter, Junior Chamber Music and Orchestra Collective of Orange County.
9. There are NO REFUNDS of application fees in the event of non-participation.
For additional information, email JCM's Director of Operations Joanne Im.